06 April 2009

Strawberry breakfast bliss

I bought a really cheap notebook a few months back with the intention of filling it with recipes to pass down to future generations of Holleks (so... weird). So far, I have two recipes listed because I want to make certain that I have optimized the recipe. I think I may have found the third entry.

My friend/officemate Irina got me Baked by Matt Lewis. I can appreciate now why it's such a highly rated book. The pictures are beautiful and the recipes are awesome. I had an incredible urge to bake something awhile back and so I pulled out a recipe from the book for raspberry breakfast bars. We didn't have any raspberries, so I made it with strawberries and I think they make it even better (then again, I have a huge preference for strawberries).

Strawberry breakfast bars (adapted from Baked)

1 1/4c oats
1 1/2c brown sugar, packed
1 c flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
dash cloves
dash allspice
3/4 c butter (or 1 1/2 sticks)


1 lb strawberries, sliced
1/4 c brown sugar, packed
2 tbs flour
1 tbs lemon zest
1/4 c lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9x13 pan, covering the sides and bottom. Process the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, baking soda, baking powder until well mixed. Cut in the butter and process until it resembles gravel-y pieces. Reserve 1c of this mix. Take the remainder and press into into a layer in the bottom of the pan. Bake for 15ish minutes until it's golden. While the crust is baking, combine the strawberries, brown sugar, flour, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Make sure that the strawberries are evenly coated and evenly layer over the cooked crust. Take the remaining crumb mixture and evenly distribute and put back in the oven for 35ish minutes.

1 comment:

Irina said...

yay! i'm glad you like the book! and the recipe sounds delish :)