18 April 2009

Savoring the Tart

Okay. Whatever. I'm never going to be able to remember to post every day for a month. I guess I can live with that. This week has been rough. I had a test in the most time intensive class evAr and I also dealt with the brakes on my car not working, which only cost me 500 bucks. Better yet, sometimes my car doesn't feel like starting when it's hot, which means that living in Texas in the summer is kind of a downer. I guess we'll take it in tomorrow to get it fixed. In all, I've been trying to keep it together and it's not going very well. My coping mechanism would normally be cooking, but my kitchen is a mess (still), so let's post an easter recipe instead.

Potato, Asparagus and Goat Cheese Tart

2 sheets of puff pastry, thawed
1/2 lb small potatoes (I used purple potatoes)
1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed and cut in half
6 oz goat cheese (chevre)
1 c grated mozzarella
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 green onions, thinly sliced on the bias

Boil potatoes in heavily salted water until tender. Cut into slices (you can use an egg slicer for even pieces). Heat oven to 375. Roll out puff pastry and score a 1 in border around the sides. Dock the center very thoroughly. Bake in the oven until the border has puffed up and it's golden-y (about 10 minutes-ish). While baking, blanch asparagus until fork tender, but not mushy. Distribute potato slices, goat cheese, garlic, onions, and asparagus and then cover in mozzarella. Bake for an addition 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melty and the crust is golden brown.

No comments: