15 November 2011

Ugly, but Tasty!, Butternut Squash Casserole

A couple weeks ago, Colby and I went to Nerd Nite: Food Edition.  Okay, it wasn't actually called that, but that's what it was.  The first speaker was AFBA's own Addie Broyles.  Someone asked her what the key to a successful food blog was and one of her suggestions was to make sure that you post pictures.  This is something that I'm not so great about doing with every post.  Partly, my picture taking skills are pretty terrible, but also because a lot of the dishes I make aren't so attractive.  This dish falls firmly in the category of dishes that are delicious but not at all pretty.


Yeah, this is kind of a hot mess.  And by hot, I mean temperature and by mess, I mean, like, look at it.




Butternut squash casserole

3 lb butternut squash, peeled, cubed, roasted in olive oil and salt+pepper at 400 for ~30 minutes
~1/3 lb bacon (more or less depending on how much you love bacon)
1/2 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
1/2 c sour cream
1 c shredded cheddar cheese (I'd avoid superduper extra sharp cheddar, actually and feel free to use more if you want)
1/4 c panko (optional)
salt+pepper

Cook the bacon until crisp.  Crumble and set aside.  Remove all but a couple Tbsps of the bacon grease and then saute the onion in the same pan until they're translucent.  I tend to brown them, to get more sweetness out of them, but be sure not to let them burn (oops).  In an oven-safe dish, combine the roasted butternut squash cubes, bacon, onions, sour cream, and 2/3 c of the cheddar cheese.  Season with salt+pepper to taste.  Top with the remaining cheese and panko, if using.  Bake in a 350 F oven for ~10 minutes, or until the cheese on top is melted and bubbly.

1 comment:

astrochris said...

I'm not saying this just because I love ramekins, but anything that you cram into a ramekin automatically looks fancier than stuff in a regular baking dish.

Also: my word verification for this comment "ovens."