01 November 2011

NaBloPoMo Take 6

Hey look, it's that time of year again... you know, the month where I try to blog for every day and inevitably fail around day 17 or so.  Some of the Austin Food Blogger Alliance members decided to participate for this month, so I thought I'd give it a try. It looks like I've attempted this about 5 times, so perhaps the sixth time is a charm.  Given that I usually post menus every week and that posting every day is hard, I'm going to pre-admit defeat and not try to make every post about food.  I'll tag the food posts as food, though, so I can make sure that I've written about it at least twice this month.

I've been sort of upset with google lately.  Though the abandonment of buzz was sad but predictable, I was a lot more surprised that they took away the share functionality of Google Reader.  I've been using Reader as my feed reader for a couple years now and I look forward to reading may of the shared items from some of my friends.  I guess now the idea is to +1 everything to google plus, but it seems silly that I can't read the +1 items from my friends in reader.  With that in mind, here are some articles that I would have shared.  And to keep with the spirit of being annoyed, most of these articles are about things that I find disconcerting, irritating, or horrifying.  It's like halloween, but real and actually scary minus the candy.  So kind of not like halloween at all.

Slavery Footprint of Your Kitchen - I've read about the plight of tomato pickers in Florida, and we've tried to limit my consumption of out of season tomatoes, but it's still hard.  I've also read a bit about the child labor that goes into most halloween chocolate candy as well, and I've mostly avoided that this year.  What I didn't realize was that there are so many more areas beyond food in which to be concerned.  Definitley food for thought.

Gay Man in Texas Viciously Attacked - I don't even have words for this.

After Soldier's Death a Chinatown Family Seeks Answers - A young soldier was either murdered or committed suicide, but the military won't really talk to the family.  Oh and he was Chinese.  And he was subjected to racist attacks.  I sort of wonder how my (Korean) brother is going to fare in the Marines.

Asian American Students Are the Most Bullied in Schools - Again with the bigotry against Asians.  This isn't so surprising, considering my experiences in grade school, but this is in stark contrast to students of other races.

3 comments:

Natanya @ Fete & Feast said...

This will be my first year trying NaBloPoMo. Maybe if we all stick together we can make it through. I love this approach to sharing articles you've read recently - I will probably steal this idea before the month is out.

Erin said...

I can't even imagine posting every day . . .
The slavery footprint of my kitchen is probably gigantic. I don't say that because I don't care (in fact, I'm aware of human trafficking and do what I can to avoid it). The problem is how small my grocery budget is - I feel that I'm doing well to be eating fruits and vegetables. If I had to buy only organic, fair-trade produce from specialty markets, I'm not sure what would happen. I miss the days when I helped harvest produce from the backyard and watched my mom can at least some of it for winter.

julie k h aka jkru said...

Natanya, after about the second week my posts ended up being something equivalent to "hey look... here's a picture of my dog". The hope is to do better than that.

Erin, I feel the same way about it too. I think that it's a shame that the food system is such that consumers have to pay a premium to purchase actually healthy foods, let alone socially just goods. I've been trying to make small changes to try to ameliorate the situation, e.g. eating local, in season produce and trying to make sure I don't get out-of-season tomatoes from the US, though it does get expensive.