23 May 2009

Bibimbap in a plastic container...

...because stone bowls are for chumps... or, you know, real Koreans.

So I thought I'd have those pictures of bibimbap a week ago but... I'm slow. Ask my professors, they'll back you up on this one.



I didn't really have a recipe for anything except for the gochujang sauce and short ribs, but that was stolen directly from Chow, so I'll leave it to the discerning reader to take a look. I followed that recipe to the letter and the sauce was amazing. It was basically everything I've been looking for at the Korean restaurants in Austin, but have failed to find. The other thing that I had a recipe for was a marinade for Korean short ribs... but I can't find that any more... which is probably okay because it wasn't spectacular, but it's where this bibimba(h)p mess began.

We went to the farmers' market with Irina and Josh one weekend and I couldn't help but get *something* from the grass fed cow guy, so we ended up getting short ribs with the intention of making kalbi. We also picked up a couple yellow zucchini and leeks, but that's for another post. Anywho, after about a week of trying to make the kalbi, I finally got the opportunity after my stupid Galaxies test (and I only call it stupid because it was on dark matter). The kalbi was okay, but it was served with broccoli-potato-leek soup and was mostly left uneaten. Fast forward a few days later and I was trying to finish up my final project in my Data Analysis for the Physical Sciences class (which wasn't ever stupid because it never talked about dark matter) and after I figured out how to finish it, I took some cooking interludes to make the bibimbahp because what else was I going to do with that leftover kalbi? (And yes, I know it's not *traditional* but what can I say? I'm an untraditional sort of person.)

Step one: peel some carrots.




Step two: chop then sauté the yellow zucchini in sesame oil



Step three: sauté some baby corn in more sesame oil because I'm not *really* Korean, I'm adopted so anything that looks like it *should* be stir-fried is allowed and I really needed to clean out my fridge. (This is also the reason why I freely switch between spellings of Korean food because the only word I know in Korean is "anyasayo" which means "hello". I only know this because the hostess always screams it at me whenever I walk into Korea Garden and then is sorely disappointed when I say "table for two, please," in perfect northern Great Lakes English)



Step four: sauté a handful of spinach in sesame oil with salt



Step five: chop and sauté mushrooms in olive oil and then sprinkle with salt and granulated garlic. As much as it seems like it's cheating to use granulated garlic, I actually like it better for mushrooms because I think they soak up the flavor better.



Step six: cut up leftover kalbi and throw it on the plate (unreheated because hubby's going to do that anyway) and take some time to admire your hard work




Step seven: fry an egg to place atop it all.




Step eight: TADA!



So full disclosure... this is more "bibim" than "bibimbahp" because I was really making this for Colby's lunch the next day and I left it to him to make the "bahp" (rice) in our amazing rice cooker that we bought from Fry's, which is like Best Buy but cheaper. It was quickly transferred from the plate to a plastic container, with the baby corn left because he thinks it's "yucky".

No comments: