06 January 2012

Resolutions

So it's almost a week late, but I've been thinking about resolutions.  Everyone makes them and they mostly include being a better person in some way, shape, or form.  I usually resolve to lose weight, but this year it's a bit more difficult for me to get a gym membership and start pounding the pavement right. this. moment.  Instead, I want to set realistic goals with built in metrics, instead of some nebulous promise of "improvement".

Take better pictures
I've come a long way from not posting photos to posting grainy blackberry photos to my camera phone and now the DSLR, but I think it's time to actually figure out how to take pictures that don't suck.  I'd love to take a class, especially since baby portraits are CRAZY expensive, but we'll have to see about time and money constraints on that.

This? This is a crappy picture.


Comment on at least three posts for every time I sit down and go through blogs I read
I read a lot of blogs and I usually have a lot to say, but I hardly ever take the time to comment.  I'm not sure if it's because I'm shy or what, but it seems like it'd also help me bring in readers and show my appreciation for the time and effort the bloggers I read put into their posts.

Respond to comments
I'm notoriously bad at actually responding to blog comments and I want to make sure that I start responding to the few that I do get.


Post at least weekly
Last year, I posted more than I've ever posted, but most of these came in November and December.  I'd like to make sure that I'm posting at least weekly.  If I get into the habit, it'll make it easier not to just drop my blog once the baby comes.  Speaking of which...


Make sure that I'm putting real food into my body
Now, more than ever, it's important that I eat real food.  We generally do eat unprocessed foods, but sometimes it's hard and I'm tired and we give up and eat something that has more preservatives in it than is necessary.  I know how to cook... and well, if I do say so myself, so this shouldn't be such a problem for me.

real and tasty. also, real tasty.

Maintain healthy blood sugar levels
At my most recent prenatal appointment, my midwife indicated that she thinks that I'm really starting to develop gestational diabetes.  If it progresses to the point where I can't control my blood sugar through diet and exercise, I'll end up on synthetic insulin to regulate it.  Most people know that gestational diabetes creates big babies, but what it also does is degrade the blood vessels in the placenta, meaning that the fetus doesn't get adequate support.  It's because of this that my super natural birth-friendly OB induces labor at 39 weeks for women with uncontrolled GD.  After monitoring my blood sugar off and on for the past few weeks, I've sort of found a pattern that works for me.  I need to stick with it and not just get frustrated and quit so that I can make sure that i have a safe delivery and a healthy baby.

Drink more water
I shared this on twitter, but here's a graphic about what happens to a person's body when she's pregnant.  (TMI warning...) So it makes sense that I have to pee every 5 minutes... which is why I don't drink nearly as much water as I probably should.


There are a zillion more things that I should resolve to do better, but this is sort of what's been at the forefront of my mind for the past week.  Obviously it would be good to maintain healthy blood sugar levels my entire life, but some of these goals are shorter term than others.  I hope that by following these resolutions, I'm able to have both a healthy baby and become a better blogger.  What are your (late, like mine!) resolutions for the upcoming year?


No comments: