18 August 2007

Thai Green Curry Chicken

So I was introduced to the sweet sweet nectar that is Thai food this summer in Honolulu. The absolute favorite was definitely Thai-style curry. The first dish I cooked when I got back to my apartment was green curry with chicken. It came out too bland to justify the amount of spiciness, but I know what adjustments I want to make to it the next time.

1.5 Tbsp green curry paste
14 oz. Lite coconut milk
3 pieces of boneless Tyson chicken (really small pieces) cubed
1.5 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/3 c. chicken "stock"
1 small golden potato sliced thin-ish (about .75 cm)
1/4 green pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 serrano pepper, very thinly sliced

Add curry paste and coconut milk to pan and combine on medium heat for five minutes. Add diced chicken, as well as everything else. Cook until the chicken is done enough such that it won't kill you immediately after ingestion... or even shortly thereafter.

So the next time, I'm adding fresh garlic and basil. I'm also decreasing the curry paste by about 0.5 tbsp and ditching the serrano pepper because I'm fairly certain the one I was using wasn't ripe at all. Oh well. I'm also (hopefully) going to watch the next one more closely and not let it get to a boil. To top it all off, I won't burn the rice the next time and I'll get real chicken stock, as opposed to making broth stolen from the Mrs. Grass' noodle soup packet.

No comments: