19 July 2010

Road Trips and Buffalo Dubs

I can't concentrate on work right now because all I can think about is all the fun I'm going to have when I go home. A week from now I'll be at Zingerman's Deli and a few days after that, I'll be making my way to Michigan foodie haven, Traverse City. Between now and then, I have a paper to um... ameliorate and a 23 hour road trip to complete.

Even though I vowed never to make the drive from Austin to Michigan in one fell swoop ever again, necessity dictates that we make the drive in a day. Colby's got a grown up job and can't leave at will and my dad's wedding rehearsal is on Friday night. We're leaving sometime on Thursday, likely in the late afternoon and need to make it to Port Huron by 6:30 PM on Friday. The rapidity with which this trip is to occur dictates that we'll be eating our meals in car. Thus I've been "menu planning". Or at least, I've been trying to think of more creative meal plans than granola bars, potato chips, and pop. Loads and loads of caffeinated pop. (The last time we made this trip, I was hallucinating by the time we got to Indiana... and I was the one driving.)

My thoughts for the "meals" on this trip (likely a dinner, fourth meal, breakfast, and lunch) are to make sandwich-y things but in wraps since one of us is going to be driving and eating. Tuna salad in pitas, chicken parm "dubs", buffalo chicken dubs, and then I ran out of good ideas. Suggestions are mucho welcomed. The buffalo chicken dub, though, is wonderful.

Buffalo dub, a la Menna's Joint

4 chicken tenders*, cooked and cut into bite sized chunks
4 taco-sized flour tortillas
2 T ranch dressing (or bleu cheese if you're adventurous)
1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese

Buffalo sauce
1/2 stick butter
1/4 c hot sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot)

In a small sauce pan melt butter, add hot sauce, and then let it boil for at least 20-25 min. The longer the better/hotter. In the end add in a couple splashes of hot sauce if you like it hot.

Toss the chicken tender chunks in the buffalo sauce to coat. In each tortilla, place 1 chicken tender's worth of chicken, 1/2 T ranch, 2 T mozzarella and then fold like a mini burrito. In a hot pan, grill on both sides until the tortillas are GBD.


*Homemade is best, but even I'm eschewing that for the frozen kind because I need to get a whole lot done in the next four days.

No comments: