06 December 2009

re-dishing thanksgiving

I posted a lot in November. I didn't quite make it the whole way through NaBloPoMo, but whatever, I tried. After like.. 27 posts or something ridiculous, I'm sort of out of things to say. Also, after prepping and cooking Thanksgiving for what seemed to be hours, I'm also a little burned out on the food front, although I did manage to make some tasty Thanksgiving "remixes".

Potato Croquettes (Adapted from Paula Deen)

1 T flour
1 T milk
3ish C mashed potatoes
2 eggs
s+p
panko breadcrumbs
3-4 T olive oil

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Mix flour, milk, mashed potatoes, 1 egg, and salt+pepper to taste. beat the other egg in a separate bowl with a little bit of water. form little disks (~2 in diameter) out of the potato mixture, and then dip them briefly in the egg wash, shaking off the excess. Dip into the panko and repeat for all. Working in batches, fry up the croquettes in the hot oil and flip when golden brown. Make sure there's enough space for each of the croquettes (they shouldn't touch). Serve with hot mustard because we all know that these are basically stand ins for knishes.

1 comment:

astrochris said...

I've been thinking about making croquettes for a while now. My recipe (from a source I trust far more than Paula "Butter" Deen) adds ground beef and onions, deep fries them, and serves with tonkatsu sauce. The best thing to do with them is to make a bunch, and then make korokke sandwiches for lunch the next day by sticking them in a bun with cheese and more tonkatsu sauce.