09 October 2011

Menu Plan, because cooking doesn't make me want to pukedie anymore

My summer long odyssey of getting through the first trimester of pregnancy largely unscathed meant that I basically had to stop cooking. It's not that all I wanted were pickles and ice cream, but rather the convergence of common first trimester side effects. Everyone knows about morning sickness, and I became intimately familiar with it. What I didn't realize, however, was that I would attain a superhuman sense of smell. Granted, it was nothing like my dog's amazing snout, but it was enough to make things like cooking onions verboten in my kitchen. One day, Colby made a salmon burger without using the vent hood and the entire kitchen and living room reeked of its salmon-y afterscent. In order to escape the stench, I made him go to IKEA and the outlet mall in Round Rock, in which the only thing we ended up purchasing was a halloween costume for my dog (and oh man, does she ever *love* it. ;)).

Kimchi only looks a little bit defeated, no?


Now that I'm well into the second trimester, I'm at the point where I can cook again.  Both my wallet and the 'sband thank me.  Mostly my wallet.  Colby still isn't so happy about the constant mess in the kitchen, but baby steps, you know?

Monday:
Bison tacos with spinach, tomatoes, sour cream, sharp cheddar, and salsa

Tuesday:
Pasta with sundried tomatoes, grape tomatoes, spinach, artichoke, garlic and mozzarella

Wednesday:
Pan-fried marinated chicken with roasted brussels sprouts and mashed sweet potatoes

Thursday:
Tuna salad sandwiches with roasted butternut squash

Friday:
Something yummy in Corpus Christi

My goal this week is to eat in for every lunch and dinner.  Monday and Tuesday I'm attending a conference that provides lunch, but on Wednesday and Thursday I'll be schlepping in leftovers.  On Friday, Colby and I are going on our babymoon.  My plan is to eat yummy food, hang out on the beach, and visit the aquarium.  Posts and pictures to follow.

No comments: