21 October 2007

Stir Fry part doo + schwam, with quinoa!

I think my new obsessions are stir-fry and KT Tunstall --stir-fry because it's easy and KT Tunstall because her new CD has some really sweet jams (in Michaelese). So today I went on a gigantic grocery adventure and came back with, amongst other goodies, quinoa, which is a grain initially cultivated in the Andes.

Side note: I started this post about a month ago and never finished it because i got way too busy, but i feel like it's time to update this thing for my own sake.

Quinoa is starting to become popular in vegetarian/vegan food circles. Actually, it isn't starting to, it actually is popular and since I live in the midwest, I haven't gotten around to trying it until recently. It's small and round and actually a seed, so it's not exactly like rice. You cook it in much the same way you cook rice, with 2 cups of water per 1 cup of quinoa. Simply bring to a boil and let it soak up the water for about 15ish minutes.

My first (and sadly, only) attempt with it was really as a rice replacement. I made stir-fry with a store-bought stir-fry sauce and just put it on the quinoa. It was actually pretty good. I'd say that it bridges the gap between white rice and brown rice in how nutty it is. I like it. I'm going to make more of it soon, especially since I've replenished my broccoli supply.

No comments: